Parking at Lodge Drive

Talk to other members about issues in Culcheth

Moderators: Purps2, raven, Sparkyman, Riggs, Chopper

Re: Parking at Lodge Drive

Postby pharmer » Thu May 29, 2014 11:37 am

Not true. My wife spoke to Mrs Lythgoe's agent recently and he said that it would take a while to cancel the existing contract with the parking firm. You will note that the signs are still there.
pharmer

Postby Vera » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:06 pm

You may remember that I received one of these 'tickets' several months ago.

I followed the advice on here and completely ignored everything that came, walking past the growing pile of letters on my desk, each one nastier than the last, and resisting the impulse of a law abiding citizen to pay up! Finally I got the court papers (which on closer examination turned out to be, as you predicted, merely a sample of what I would receive if I continued not to pay). They looked pretty frightening.
However I ignored them. I received them back in March, and in spite of the threat that I would be receiving a summons in 14 days, I have heard nothing since.

So take heart, those of you still playing the waiting game. It worked for me.
Vera

Postby MrC » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:23 pm

Just received a phone call off my wife saying court papers had arrived. I'm assuming they will be as previously posted by Vera. Just a sample.
The company that has sent the court info is Expedion Ltd from Dyfed. Is this familiar to anyone?
I will read tonight and file with demands sent for money.
Any further updates will be posted here.
MrC

Postby Sparkyman » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:46 pm

Yep, my mates had the "here's what the Court papers look like" letter as well, then nothing.

What are they waiting for? Can Condor shed any light on this?
Sparkyman

Postby Condor » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:52 pm

I don’t have any particular information on this. Expedion Ltd appear to be debt collectors who may be connected with ANPR Ltd – who managed this car park for the owner.

I suppose one reason for inaction could be the moratorium on parking enforcement agreed by the owner in May.

There is also the report of a successful appeal to POPLA in January this year relating to this car park. The basis of the decision seems to have been that the Operator (ANPR Ltd) failed to prove that the charge was a genuine pre-estimate of loss suffered.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if that decision had influenced the owner in agreeing to the moratorium.
Condor

Postby Sparkyman » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:24 pm

Anybody know who successfully appealed to POPLA????????
Sparkyman

Postby Dazza » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:23 pm

Thought this had quietly gone away but I have received my copy of the court paper letter today. To be honest I thought all the signs had been removed now in the light of the bad publicity a few weeks ago regarding rogue parking companies am I right ?
I am currently being asked for over £200 and informed that if it goes to court costs will escalate and I will also suffer a bad credit rating. Like you Vera I am a law abiding member of the community and this is causing an amount of stress I really don't need right now !
Can anyone reassure me with updates on their own situation or advise me what to do now ? Apparently I have 14 days.

All replies welcome.

Many Thanks
Dazza

Postby NotLocal » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:46 pm

As a follow-up to my post on 28th May, I ended up appealing to Popla and I have heard this week that my appeal was allowed. I appealed on a number of grounds but the one they have accepted is that "the parking charge notice is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss".
NotLocal

Postby Sparkyman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:55 pm

Dazza wrote:Thought this had quietly gone away but I have received my copy of the court paper letter today. To be honest I thought all the signs had been removed now in the light of the bad publicity a few weeks ago regarding rogue parking companies am I right ?
I am currently being asked for over £200 and informed that if it goes to court costs will escalate and I will also suffer a bad credit rating. Like you Vera I am a law abiding member of the community and this is causing an amount of stress I really don't need right now !
Can anyone reassure me with updates on their own situation or advise me what to do now ? Apparently I have 14 days.

All replies welcome.

Many Thanks

You are still a law abiding citizen (I hope),
If it goes to County Court (which it won't) especially now 'Notlocal' has had a successful appeal to POPLA (which is their accredited body), what chance have they to convince a County Court Judge? I'll tell you, NONE!!
You can also only get a bad mark on your credit file in these circumstances if you are taken to Count Court, Lose the case and then don't pay the money awarded by the Court (and this court is not like Crown Court that you remember from the telly, it's just a few people around a table).

Please, Don't worry about it, they prey on people wanting to get rid of the stress by paying their ridiculous demands, that is their business model.

You have 14 days to keep ignoring them and then nothing will happen.

Vera's had nothing and neither has my friend who also got a copy of "Here's what we'll send you next".
Sparkyman

Postby Dazza » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:52 pm

Thank you both for your reply to my post having received the documents I was having a bit of a 'wobble' and I think you have put my mind at rest for the time being anyway. I am putting my faith in you guys and ignoring this letter as I believe not only that I did nothing wrong but in the light of the result of 'not local', I can argue a strong case should this go any further. Hopefully common sense will prevail and visitors to Culcheth village will once again be welcomed !
Thank you for your comments and support !
Dazza
Dazza

Postby bodybod » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:59 pm

We parked last december and received the usual threats but ignored them all. Today we have received a letter from expedion with a copy of a claim in Northampton court if we do not respond in 14 days. Do we also ignore this? My son took a photo of the notice re Dons' customers (which we were) This was still on the lamp post the next morning.
Wanted to pm sparky but don't know how.
Many thanks for any help.
bodybod

Postby Sparkyman » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:55 pm

Bodybod, welcome to the forum.
You have received the same 14 days until we unleash hell on you, here's a copy of what we will send you next (which they won't) as have Vera and the others (there is also a lot of activity on the Culcheth facebook page in the last few days, it would appear they are having a last go at attempting to get cash out of folk), don't be fooled.
If on the million to one chance they actually took you to County Court (which they won't), you are hopefully in a fantastic position, I hope you have still got the receipt for your meal that evening, or does it show up on your credit card statement. You've got a picture showing the 'allowed to Park if using Dons' etc, their case would be thrown out, as it would anyway under the 'fail to show a pre estimate of loss' result at POPLA.
Don't pay.
Remember, every letter they send costs them money.

If you want to PM anyone, click on their name and you will be sent to a screen allowing you to do it.

Happy Halloween, don't let the Devils at these Private Parking Companies spoil it for you.
Sparkyman

Postby Vera » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:24 pm

Hello again,

Just wondering if anyone who had ignored the letter from Expedion with the court papers attached (still no claim number, just copies) had heard anything else?
I have received another one, this time with details of the case that would be put forward by a named representative of ANPR, and threats that once the case has been filed there will be 'no turning back' They have, they say, enclosed the copy of the court papers not to intimidate but to give me a chance to check the contents.
We parked there in sept 2013, and I thought the letters had stopped. We are not in such a good position, having no proof that we were in Don Luigis. We only called for a short time.
Any advice?

Thanks, Vera.
Vera

Postby Sparkyman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:18 pm

How nice of them for 'not wanting to intimidate you' and just sending the info for you to check.
They must be a bit cash strapped and need some money for the Champers at the office Christmas party.
Has their case got stronger since the last time they threatened you?

NO!!

Keep pinning the letters up.
Sparkyman

Postby Sparkyman » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:15 pm

Big test case in the Court of Appeal next Wednesday, should be interesting!!!
Sparkyman

Postby Vera » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:58 pm

Hi,

Following my last post we waited with some trepidation for our court summons to arrive, but guess what, nothing happened!

Still have my large pile of threatening paperwork, wonder what will happen next......?
How is everyone else going on?

Vera
Vera

Postby Condor » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:34 pm

Just seen this. It seems the judgment was today.

A chip shop owner says he is "absolutely furious" after losing his landmark legal bid to sweep away "rip-off" parking charges.

Barry Beavis, 48, from Chelmsford, Essex, took on private car park operators that heavily penalise motorists who overstay their allotted time in parking spaces.

He asked Court of Appeal judges in London to rule an £85 charge legally "unenforceable".

But the three judges unanimously dismissed his challenge, saying the amount he was charged "is not extravagant or unconscionable".
Condor

Previous

Return to Culcheth General Chat