Parking at Lodge Drive

Talk to other members about issues in Culcheth

Moderators: Purps2, raven, Sparkyman, Riggs, Chopper

Parking at Lodge Drive

Postby bazandlaney » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:59 pm

Recently received a fine for parking here even though the sign clearly states it's ok for customers of Don Luigi to park here. We were customers! Anyone else had any problems? We're not just paying it of course, we are contesting it. I fully understand that the area needs to be kept for customers of the shops but in my view the restriction should only be when said shops are open. Does it matter when they are closed - is it harming any businesses? Really! Sounds like a nice little earner to me. We won't be visiting Culcheth again to give our custom to local businesses any time soon. :(
bazandlaney

Re: Parking at Lodge Drive

Postby Lioness » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:03 pm

Just ignore it, and consult Sparky if you have a problem Don't worry about it.
Live well, Love much, Laugh often
Lioness

Postby Sparkyman » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:51 pm

Baz and Laney,
I am sorry your visit to our Village was spoiled by this piece of worthless paper attached to your windscreen.
I hope you enjoyed your meal at Dons, I must have eaten there about 100 times with no complaints.
Do not contest, do not get into correspondence with them, just ignore and it will go away.
They will send you more letters though, it is not a fine, it cannot affect your credit rating, ignore all.

Type 'Private Parking Tickets' into Google and have a look at Money Saving Expert and PEPIPOO for more information.

If you are still concerned please PM me.
Sparky.
Sparkyman

Postby Maam a Lady » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:52 pm

As a local business owner this type of comment is really worrying. Please do visit Culcheth again. Park at Forget-me-not toy & bookshop (opposite The Cherry Tree pub) and visit any business in Culcheth while you park there, pop in and say hello to us if you can. Our car park is small but if we can accommodate you we will :D

Our customers park on our parking, then go and shop on Lodge Drive. It would be great if it could be reciprocated.

We don't mind people parking when we are closed to frequent local restaurants. Some leave them overnight, which again we don't mind so long as cars are moved before we open at 9am to leave room for our customers too.

Please don't let this put you off. There are great businesses in Culcheth that do appreciate your custom and support.
Maam a Lady

Postby Tweedie » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Do I take it that the clamping has stopped then?
Tweedie

Postby Sparkyman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:51 pm

Yes, in the majority of cases, on Lodge Drive yes.
As of 1st October 2012 it was made illegal with the odd exception.

Police and Councils can still clamp (but not on a Private car park obviously), you can clamp your own car to stop it being nicked.

Google it for more info, try 'Clamping Law 2012' or 'Private parking tickets' you'll be enlightened.
Sparkyman

Postby watchdog » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:21 am

People should park in front of the shops that council land. Cross the road where the park is that lady land I for got here name who owns the buildings on lodge drive. So park in front if the shops you will be all fine. They put signs up right infront of the shops few years ago and and the council got involved because of the signs they put up they got them to remove them.
watchdog

Postby GLF » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Erm, I'm not sure I follow that last post too well.

Are you saying that the car park immediately outside the shops (McDees etc) is council land, but the car park that is nicked off the corner of the common (with the path to the playground) is the one Mrs L owns? Ticketing goes on on the 4/5 spaces on Ellesmere Road and all around the back also. Any idea what the true story is for these areas?

People seem to miss that you can actually park on Lodge drive in the evening. Of course that makes getting home a pain for people like me.

Perhaps if they don't want their car park using at night then they should put a barrier on it. I'm always tempted to stick cones across the entrance for the benefit of those that don't realise. Probably nowadays everyone that falls foul are visitors to the village which is bad publicity.

I presume that Mrs L somehow leases the right to clamp (or ticket) on her land. I wonder what the contract is worth and whether the local shop owners or even the parish council have ever had it offered such that it can be restored to free parking. I guess companies buy these rights like other people buy ground rents for leasehold houses.

It used to annoy me when they used vans and they used to park on the pavement at the top of Ellesmere Road at night. Their car park was empty and they were sat mounted the pavment blocking vision out of the junction.
GLF

Postby cityblue » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:37 pm

The ticket man had fun tonight! At 6pm several cars were given tickets round the back of the shops. The Brownies had a parent craft session so the road running down the side of the Methodist church was very busy. Many parents thinking they were being considerate parked off the road in the area used by the shop keepers during the day - all ticketed!!!
My husband was recently given a ticket for parking there for two minutes whilst he picked up from Brownies.
Despite lots and lots of letters and now the threat of court he has not paid.
It's crazy that Ellesmere Road becomes so conjested by parking for the church whilst all that space cannot be utilised.
How an ambulance or fire engine would get passed I shudder to think.
cityblue

Postby stargirl13 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:09 pm

I think that the whole business of fining people for parking on Lodge Drive is a terrible thing. Culcheth is a wonderful village and the owners of the car park should be encouraging the community spirit and enjoying the village with all its clubs, shops, fairs, etc. Receiving a fine for parking when the shops are closed to pick up children from Brownies/Cubs etc. is totally inappropriate. We're all too terrified to go into our local village any more to park in case we get a ticket. It can be difficult when one wants to shop both on Lodge Drive and at the CPS centre. To the owners, please encourage the community feel of the village. People will still shop on Lodge Drive even if the car park opposite is full! There is no need to fine anybody.
stargirl13

Postby Sparkyman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:23 pm

Stargirl 13,
Welcome to the forum.
Well said but please don't use the words fines or tickets because that gives them an air of legitimacy they don't deserve.
They are speculative invoices.
Sparkyman

Postby kevandvicki » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:12 pm

My wife and I visited Culcheth on Saturday night to take my daughter for a meal at Don Luigis for her 16th birthday.
We parked on the car park near the Park, which in all tense and purpose looks like it belongs to the village the park and the council.
to our astonishment we got a Penalty charge notice for parking there.
This is a great shame as I have always liked coming to eat in Culcheth as it is just a lovely village not far from Newton and some great restuarants.
If this Lady Lythgoe cares anything about this village or the restaurateurs why does she not stop this ludicrous greedy practice.
What is wrong with the woman at all. This has come to us as a total shock £50 fine 2 weeks before Xmas, we wont be going to Culcheth again..
kevandvicki

Postby GLF » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:39 pm

I think that Don Luigi's has permission to park on the car parks so you should be fine. Check though as I might be wrong or it may have changed. I would normally check my facts before I post but I can't do it this evening but wanted to point this possibility out before you put your cheque in the post.....
GLF

Postby alfie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:17 pm

If it was just a ticket don't pay the fine...they have no right to fine you...appeal costs nothing and you'll probably win....use this letter:

http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/at ... gating.rtf

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclai ... ng-tickets
alfie

Postby Sparkyman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:33 pm

kevandvicki wrote:My wife and I visited Culcheth on Saturday night to take my daughter for a meal at Don Luigis for her 16th birthday.
We parked on the car park near the Park, which in all tense and purpose looks like it belongs to the village the park and the council.
to our astonishment we got a Penalty charge notice for parking there.
This is a great shame as I have always liked coming to eat in Culcheth as it is just a lovely village not far from Newton and some great restuarants.
If this Lady Lythgoe cares anything about this village or the restaurateurs why does she not stop this ludicrous greedy practice.
What is wrong with the woman at all. This has come to us as a total shock £50 fine 2 weeks before Xmas, we wont be going to Culcheth again..

I would recommend against sending a letter as Alfie posts above, do not get into contact with them at all, they will go away after sending you some more 'threatening' letters.

You did not get a 'Penalty charge notice' nor did you receive a 'Fine'
You have received a speculative invoice.
Why oh why do I have to repeat myself time and time again on this forum and others, read the earlier posts.
I'm almost getting to the stage where the next person who posts this sort of stuff I'll just say "Pay up", in fact, even better, I'll start putting 'tickets', 'fines' or whatever on vehicles all over the village, even when you're parked on you're own drive, knowing that most people will just pay up to any official looking notice.
I'll be able to to retire 10 years early on other peoples money.
Sparkyman

Postby wiggy+ » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:50 am

Fair point well made Sparkyman :shock:
wiggy+

Postby Local lass » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:11 am

Sparkyman, I would put a notice up on Lodge Drive informing people to take no notice of these so called penalty tickets. Save you having to repeat your advice. :)
Local lass

Postby Purps2 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:11 am

Take it to the press, peaceful protest, picture villagers ripping up tickets in the Guardian, bring this topic to the forefront.
Purps2

Postby Lioness » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:25 pm

Brilliant idea, Purps!
Live well, Love much, Laugh often
Lioness

Postby raven » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Purps2 wrote:Take it to the press, peaceful protest, picture villagers ripping up tickets in the Guardian, bring this topic to the forefront.

I would rather rip up the Guardian.
Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.
raven

Next

Return to Culcheth General Chat